Precis as a “restatement in shortened form of the chief ideas, points, etc., of a speech or a piece of writing“.
A Precis is an abridgment of a lengthy matter, whether it is a speech, suggestions, findings or record or other proceedings or discussions. It’s usually written in the form of a brief and coherent paragraph.
Qualities of a Good Precis
Completeness: A precis should cover the essential of the given passage. It should not omit any important fact or idea.
Clarity: It should express the meaning of the original clearly and be free from all ambiguities and redundancies. Without reading the original, one should be able to get the main message through the precis.
Conciseness: A precis must be brief and precise.
How to Make a Good Precis
The following points may be borne in mind in order to make a goo precis.
- Reduce the passage to one-third of its original length.
- Choose a title, which gives an over-view of the passage.
- Write in your own words.
- Avoid phrases/words from the passage, which stand out.
- Reduce the data to the minimum.
- Use only third person, pronouns an indirect speech.
- Do not add anything extraneous to the passage.
- Delete repetitive ideas or words.
- Follow all rules of grammar an punctuation.
- Always make a rough draft.
- Use the precis-sheets.